Professor Joe Veroff died September 30, 2007, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at the age of 77. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor Veroff's work.
Please see below for more information:
Joe Veroff is a professor of psychology and research scientist at the Institute for Social Research, where he co-founded the Family and Sex Roles Program (later the Life Course Development Program). Professor Veroff's research interests include personality-role interaction, social incentives over the life span, subjective mental health, and marital adaptation.
- Close Relationships
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Bryant, F. B., & Veroff, J. (2007). Savoring: A new model of positive experience. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Holmberg, D., Orbuch, T. L., & Veroff, J. (2004). Thrice-told tales: Married couples tell their stories. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Veroff, J., Douvan, E., & Hatchett, S. J. (1995). Marital instability: A social and behavioral study of the early years. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Veroff, J., Douvan, E., & Kulka, R. A. (1981). The inner American: A self-portrait from 1957 to 1976. New York: Basic Books.
- Veroff, J., Kulka, R. A., & Douvan, E. (1981). Mental health in America: Patterns of help-seeking from 1957 to 1976. New York: Basic Books.
- Atkinson, J. W., Heyns, R. W., & Veroff, J. (1954). The effect of experimental arousal of the affiliation motive on thematic apperception. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 49(3), 405-410.
- Bryant, F. B., & Veroff, J. (1982). The structure of psychological well-being: A sociohistorical analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 43(4), 653-673.
- Gurin, G., Veroff, J., & Feld, S. (1960). Americans view their mental health: A nationwide interview survey. Oxford, England: Basic Books.
- Henderson-King, D. H., & Veroff, J. (1994). Sexual satisfaction and marital well-being in the first years of marriage. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 11(4), 509-534.
- Oggins, J., Veroff, J., & Leber, D. (1993). Perceptions of marital interaction among Black and White newlyweds. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 65(3), 494-511.
- Orbuch, T. L., Veroff, J., Hassan, H., & Horrocks, J. (2002). Who will divorce: A 14-year longitudinal study of Black couples and White couples. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 19(2), 179-202.
- Ruvolo, A. P., & Veroff, J. (1997). For better or for worse: Real-ideal discrepancies and the marital well-being of newlyweds. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 14(2), 223-242.
- Shipley, T. E., Jr., & Veroff, J. (1952). A projective measure of need for affiliation. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 43(5), 349-356.
- Veroff, J. (1957). Development and validation of a projective measure of power motivation. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 54(1), 1-8.
- Veroff, J., Atkinson, J. W., Feld, S. C., & Gurin, G. (1960). The use of thematic apperception to assess motivation in a nationwide interview study. Psychological Monographs: General and Applied, 74(12), 1-32.
- Veroff, J. Feld, S., & Gurin, G. (1962). Achievement motivation and religious background. American Sociological Review, 27(2), 205-217.
- Veroff, J., Feld, S., & Gurin, G. (1962). Dimensions of subjective adjustment. Journal of Abnormal & Social Psychology, 64(3), 192-205.
- Veroff, J., Reuman, D., & Feld, S. (1984). Motives in American men and women across the adult life span. Developmental Psychology, 20(6), 1142-1158.
- Veroff, J., Wilcox, S., & Atkinson, J. W. (1953). The achievement motive in high school and college age women. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 48(1), 108-119.
- Veroff, J. (1999). Commitment in the early years of marriage. In J. M. Adams, and W. H. Jones (Eds.), Handbook of interpersonal commitment and relationship stability (pp. 149-162). Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.